Just the random ramblings of a stay at home mommy...

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings

This is one of my favorite comfort foods. I can remember helping my great grandmother make them for me when we'd go to visit her in Palataka, Florida. She and my mother would cook the chicken in a pressure cooker but I have to admit, those things scare me! I can just see me blowing something up in my kitchen. Because of that, I came up with this super easy way to make a delicious meal (without the fear of blowing up my kitchen!). Recipe and directions are after the picture!


Chicken and Dumplings

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt, pepper, onion powder to taste
3 tbs. oil
2 cups Bisquick
2/3 cups milk
1 - 32 oz box chicken stock
2 cups chicken bouillon

Cut chicken into bite sized pieces, put in a large Dutch oven pot with the oil, season to taste. Cook until no longer pink in the middle. Mix Bisquick and milk together to form a soft dough. Mix 2 chicken bouillon cubes with 2 cups boiling water. When chicken is cooked through, add chicken stock and chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, drop dumplings in one at a time, maintaining the boil. Boil 10 minutes uncovered and 10 minutes covered.

Enjoy!


* If you have a large family (or a really hungry one), just double the recipe.

* I use Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt on my chicken along with the pepper and onion powder but regular salt is fine.

1 comment:

  1. Pressure cookers scare me too. Not many people use them anymore.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete